Become a part of the Niseko Base Snowsports family
We love skiing, snowboarding and everything that is winter in Japan! We want to do everything we can to support you so that you love this place as much as we do! NBS and our parent company SkiJapan, started out small as a tight knit group of shredders keen to share their passion with guests from all countries and cultures. Through the years we have grown to become the largest and longest serving inbound tour operator in Hokkaido with offices around the globe. Despite the growing size of the company, the small family feel still exists and the culture of friendship, sharing pow days and community live on!
We pride ourselves on our absolute professionalism and the outstanding quality of services that we provide. There may be many Snowsports Schools and Rental shops in the area but our philosophy and ethos stands out. Our success stems from our commitment to this culture and our team. If we’re all happy and loving Japan, so will our guests!
- Outstanding teamwork culture and family feel
- High level of support from HR and Management for all aspects of trip to Japan
- Competitive, incentivized pay structure for Snowsports Instructors
- High quality Onyone Instructor uniform
- FREE Season Lift Pass (Instructors receive a Commercial Niseko United All Mountain pass, all other NBS positions include a Hirafu/Hanazono season pass)
- FREE Mobile Phone – with unlimited calls and texts between team members
- FREE Staff Shuttle between Hirafu & Kutchan, all day, every day – Great for shopping and nights out!
- FREE Ski/Snowboard lessons & rental with Niseko Base Snowsports
- Discounted tours and cultural activities
- Subsidized staff accommodation with FREE Wi-Fi
- Pick up service upon arrival in resort
- Staff locker room within 1 minute walk of the slopes!
- Extensive Staff Discounts and deals from our partners in Hirafu Village & Kutchan
- Discounts for immediate family and partners of staff
- Departmental benefits, rewards and incentives
- Comprehensive company induction training program including a free cultural day tour
- Comprehensive in-house training program for instructors
- Assistance with visas, foreigner registration & government paperwork
Life in Niseko is a fusion of Japanese culture, powder, an international community and a happening nightlife all set in front of the stunning Mt. Yotei volcano. Hirafu is the perfect introduction to Japan for those that don’t speak Japanese with most Hirafu businesses and guests speaking English. The Niseko United ski area comprises of 4 ski resorts including Annupuri, Niseko Village, Hirafu and Hanazono. NBS is located in Hirafu which is the only ski area with a village at its base.
Hirafu is a thriving village with an abundance of restaurants, onsens, bars, retail shops, yoga studios, wellness spas, cafes, massage studios and accommodations. The village is 8-10 minute walk from top to bottom and is home to Niseko Base Snowsports and the SkiJapan travel company. Getting around Hirafu is easy as it is small and everything is within a short walk.
About 15 minutes by staff shuttle is Kutchan, a rural town where you will find the banks, post offices, supermarkets, gyms, health care, the train station and other local businesses. Kutchan is home to traditional Japanese cuisine, culture and a growing nightlife scene. NBS/SkiJapan makes getting to Kutchan and back easy with a FREE staff shuttle bus looping between approximately every 20 minutes during the peak season. It is a short 15 minute trip on the bus. Alternatively, there are regular public buses and taxis.
Subsidized staff accommodation is available to all staff with twin, triple and quad share options available. Rental prices vary from 35,000 – 65,000yen per month depending on the location, size and share option. We have a number of staff accommodations in both the Hirafu Village and Kutchan with a place to suit everyone’s preferences and budget.
NBS Front Desk & Reservations Consultant
NBS Rental/Retail Technician
NBS Kids Club Assistant
NBS Ski Instructors SHORT TERM (Dec-Feb) or FULL SEASON (Dec-Mar)
NBS Kids Ski Instructor SHORT TERM (Dec-Feb) or FULL SEASON (Dec-Mar)
NBS Snowsports Trainers
Positions will be listed [HERE] from 15 May 2019
- Review the Positions Vacant page on our website
- Complete an online application form
- Attach a cover letter, resume and photo of yourself
- Applications will be then be shortlisted in July
- If you are successful for an interview you will be contacted in July or August
- Video Skype Interviews will be held through July and August
- Successful candidates will be notified by the end of August
- Positions to start end of November/ Early December
All applicants need the following to be considered for any position with NBS:
The ability to obtain a working/holiday visa (check if you’re eligible here: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/)
The necessary qualifications/experience for a sponsored working visa (a relevant qualification along with approx. 36 months of relevant full time experience is required for sponsorship).
Ability to meet the grooming policy (neat and tidy hair at all times, clean shaven or beard trimmed with distinct lines, tattoos covered at all times, wear the uniform as outlined in the staff handbook).
The Right Attitude (we can train you to do your job but we can’t decide how you do it)
Applications will be accepted from May. Only applications received via the website will be accepted. Please don’t email us directly.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted in July to schedule an interview. Skype interviews will be held through July and August. Successful candidates will be notified by the end of August.
Add the assigned interviewer to your Skype contacts. Find a quiet space without distractions and ensure you have a reliable internet connection for the duration of the interview.
If you are successful, we will require a response within a week of you receiving the offer. We will then begin to assist with your visa application, you will receive regular emails updates to assist you in preparation for your trip to Japan.
Instructors need to hold a minimum of APSI level 1 or equivalent. Indoor roles have varying requirements, please check your preferred job description for details.
Candidates must have the ability to obtain a working/holiday visa. Check if you’re eligible here: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/
The necessary qualifications/experience for a sponsored working visa. A relevant qualification along with approx. 36 months of relevant full time experience is required for sponsorship.
Each department with NBS will participate in 5-8 days of specific training. Instructors will spend the majority of those days on snow getting to know the resort and teaching terrain. NBS also operates a season long training program for instructors.
Instructors generally start work at 8:30am or 9:30am for 4-6 hours each day during the peak season. There are opportunities to work more hours as the lifts in Grand Hirafu are open until 8:30pm! Instructors can also participate in training which operates 4-5 nights a week from 4pm -6pm.
“In my experience in the skiing industry and outside it, style of management is one of the main drivers to the company’s success. Your positive management style easily made NBS the standout company I have had the pleasure of working for. You could see this reflected by the orange and grey uniforms all over the mountain.”
“I loved seeing people’s skiing improve and making them smile! All the supervisors were fantastic and made life very enjoyable! Thank you for everything NBS, I’ve had the time of my life!”
“The team and work environment is very welcoming, positive and supportive. I have loved coaching and passing on my knowledge to the next generation”
“Thank you for providing me with the tools and environment to have an amazing first season as an instructor! The management and supervisory team for instructors has been exceptional”